Legal Leasing Assistant - Corporate - Indianapolis, IN
Corporate - Indianapolis
The Legal Leasing department of Washington Prime Group is seeking a new associate in its Indianapolis office to prepare and negotiate lease documents at properties throughout our national portfolio. In addition to lease preparation and negotiation, this associate will prepare and provide legal recommendations to other internal departments (leasing, development, operations, etc.) on a variety of retail leasing, development, and general real estate questions. This associate will need to have a strong team orientation and have excellent self-management skills. This position may be filled by either an experienced paralegal (2+ year’s relevant experience) or junior attorney (1-2 years post-JD).
Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Works with senior counsel to prepare lease documents, including amendments, terminations and renewals.
- Reviews and analyzes tenant comments to lease documents and works with senior counsel to formulate responses to tenant comments.
- Researches leases and other legal documents and prepares written reports of findings. Updates and reviews lease tracking program to stay current on status of negotiations with tenants.
- Researches and answers lease related questions from various internal corporate departments.
- Coordinates with appropriate parties to generate exhibits for lease documents.
- Attends leasing meetings to discuss status of leases.
- Reviews lease profiles for accuracy.
- Reviews lien waivers and other construction related documentation in connection with tenant allowance requests.
- Prepares other legal documents as required, such as estoppel certificates, SNDAs, Memorandum of Leases, etc.
- Performs other duties as required.
Skills (Desired Abilities):
- Basic knowledge of real estate, construction and accounting practices.
- Ability to effectively communicate with attorneys, tenants, and company personnel.
- Excellent computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite products, Adobe Acrobat, and document management systems.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Real Estate or related area and Paralegal certification by an institution approved by the American Bar Association OR Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- At least two to four years of lease administration experience including lease abstracting, lease drafting and negotiation, or for attorney candidates, a demonstrated interest in practicing real estate and retail leasing law.
- Notary Public (preferred but not required).