Vice President - Anchor Leasing, Development - Corporate - Columbus, OH
Corporate - Columbus
As a member of the Development team, the Vice President, Development plays an important role in the implementation of the Company’s development strategy reporting directly to the Executive Vice President, Development. This role will participate in Company teams responsible to direct, coordinate, and oversee activities associated with the redevelopment of existing assets with specific forms on replacing vacant anchor stores and asset intensification and the development of new projects. These activities may include securing sites, determining feasibility, underwriting, negotiating and structuring leases and options, and successfully completing the design, construction, and opening of new developments and redevelopments of existing portfolio assets and, possibly, new developments. The Vice President, Development will also be responsible to contribute to the leadership and coordination of the Company’s development and redevelopment processes.
Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
• Works closely with the other departments within the Company, assumes a lead role in strategizing, originating, evaluating, and managing redevelopment of properties within the existing portfolio and new ground up development.
• Assumes primary responsibility for managing the pre development process from initial identification and evaluation, through investment approval, entitlements, and pre leasing. Participate in multi disciplinary Company teams including Construction, Leasing, Restaurant Leasing, Property Management, and Financial Analysis, to manage the full cycle development process through lease up, design, construction, and project completion.
• Prepares analysis for new developments, redevelopment and tenant specific opportunities. Guides and oversee preparation of project proposals, proformas, budgets, feasibility analyses, including determination of time and funding requirements.
• Works with Anchor Leasing, Leasing, Restaurant Leasing, and Financial Analysis, to evaluate new deals to prepare material for the company’s Investment Committee.
• Identifies and analyzes development and zoning regulations related to new projects and expansion of existing properties. Coordinates with internal legal teams for the analysis and interpretation of REA’s, Leases and related controlling documents.
• Obtains project entitlements and third party approvals.
• Working with Construction, monitors and maintains schedules and budgets for projects assigned and oversees the execution of approved development projects.
• Develops and maintains a broad range of industry relationships with potential tenants, anchor stores, consultants, and governmental agencies.
• Contribute to the development of, implement and share oversight responsibility for project by project departmental procedures and controls to assure company and departmental compliance.
• Assist in the development and implementation of methods and procedures for monitoring projects and prospective deal pipelines.
• Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring projects and prospective deal pipelines.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills (Desired Abilities):
• A natural leader and team player, with a cultural fit and a style to operate effectively within a fast-paced public company environment.
• Strong relationship development and interpersonal skills with an ability to appropriately influence and inspire others, successfully manage conflict, and interact effectively with all internal and external stakeholders including joint-venture partners, tenants, architects, engineers, and other third parties, finance and marketing professionals, contractors, as well as personnel and executives within the Washington Prime Group organization.
• Strong negotiating and deal structuring skills.
• Strong presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational and project leadership skills.
• Ability to understand site and lease plan drawings.
• Ability to understand financial reports.
• Ability to use computer software/hardware to prepare and present financial, economic and other data for project proformas and other analytical reports.
• Must be willing to travel as required.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
• A minimum of 10 years of relevant real estate development experience managing full-cycle processes associated with large-scale premium developments. Specific experience in retail developments particularly regional mall development will be a plus.
• BA or BS Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Engineering, Architecture or related field required.
• MBA, JD or other relevant advanced degree preferred.